Scottish Book Trust’s Early Years Programme
Please Note: Due to changes in staffing there has been a delay with training new Bookbug Session Leaders. Monthly Bookbug sessions in have restarted in Stromness and weekly sessions are due to restart in Kirkwall Library on 20th April 2022. At present all sessions are term time only.
Please note that all sessions must be booked through Eventbrite.
If you have any questions please contact the Library on 01856 873166 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bookbug sessions in Kirkwall Library are due to restart on Wednesday 20th April 2022 and then will be every Wednesday during term time. Spaces are limited so all attendees must book their place through Eventbrite. Tickets for each Kirkwall session will be available on Eventbrite from 9am on the Thursday before the session.
There are Bookbug sessions in Stromness Library on the first Friday of every month during term time. Spaces are limited so all attendees must book their place through Eventbrite. Tickets for each Stromness session will be available on Eventbrite from 9am on the Monday before the session.
Bookbug Sessions are fully inclusive and open to all families, regardless of age, disability, gender, gender identity, race, religion or belief, or sexual orientation.
The Aims of Bookbug are:
- To provide free resources to help parents to share books with babies
- To ensure that all children have free and regular access to a wide range of books which are suitable for their age
- To promote a love of books and reading from an early age which will last throughout life
How Bookbug Works in Orkney
Orkney Library & Archive supplies local Health Visitors with Bookbug bags which are given out to babies and children at different stages.
- The Bookbug Baby Bag is gifted by your health visitor in your baby’s first year.
- The Bookbug Toddler Bag is gifted by your health visitor when your toddler is aged 1 to 2 years.
- The Bookbug Explorer Bag is given out at nursery when your child is aged 3 years.
- All P1 children will receive the P1 Family Bag during Book Week Scotland in November each year.
The Bookbug Library Challenge is a free and fun way to encourage children from birth to discover and enjoy their local library. The challenge runs in libraries across Scotland and your child will have the chance to collect beautifully illustrated certificates.
If you have any queries relating to the Bookbug programme in Orkney please contact the Bookbug Co-ordinator at email@example.com.