Scottish Book Trust’s Early Years Programme
Please Note: Due to changes in staffing there has been a delay with training new Bookbug Session Leaders. Weekly sessions have restarted in Kirkwall Library and there are monthly sessions in Stromness. All sessions are term time only.
Please note that all sessions must be booked through Eventbrite.
If you have any questions please contact the Library on 01856 873166 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bookbug sessions in Kirkwall Library take place every Wednesday morning during term time. Spaces are limited, so all attendees must book their place through Eventbrite. Tickets for each Kirkwall session will be available on Eventbrite from 9am on the Friday before the session.
There are monthly Bookbug sessions in Stromness Library which take place on the first Friday morning of the month during term time. These sessions do not require booking so you are welcome to just turn up on the day.
Bookbug Sessions are fully inclusive and open to all families, regardless of age, disability, gender, gender identity, race, religion or belief, or sexual orientation.
The Aims of Bookbug are:
- To provide free resources to help parents to share books with babies
- To ensure that all children have free and regular access to a wide range of books which are suitable for their age
- To promote a love of books and reading from an early age which will last throughout life
How Bookbug Works in Orkney
Orkney Library & Archive supplies local Health Visitors with Bookbug bags which are given out to babies and children at different stages.
- The Bookbug Baby Bag is gifted by your health visitor in your baby’s first year.
- The Bookbug Toddler Bag is gifted by your health visitor when your toddler is aged 1 to 2 years.
- The Bookbug Explorer Bag is given out at nursery when your child is aged 3 years.
- All P1 children will receive the P1 Family Bag during Book Week Scotland in November each year.
The Bookbug Library Challenge is a free and fun way to encourage children from birth to discover and enjoy their local library. The challenge runs in libraries across Scotland and your child will have the chance to collect beautifully illustrated certificates.
If you have any queries relating to the Bookbug programme in Orkney please contact the Bookbug Co-ordinator at email@example.com.